Do not know how to use a pressure cooker for meat? Well, we are here only for your help. The pressure cookers are the backbone of our kitchen. These are very helpful for boiling food quickly.
The pressure cooker makes food quickly without affecting any nutrition. This makes the pressure cooker a healthy way of cooking. If you want to learn cooking then the first thing you should learn is how to use a pressure cooker.
In this article, we will give point-to-point information about pressure cooker including how to use a pressure cooker for meat. Do you want to have a great cooking experience with the pressure cooker?
Then let’s get started…
Table of Contents
What is a Pressure Cooker?
A pressure cooker is a pot that helps to cook food faster by high steam pressure. The first pressure cooker was invented in the 1600s by a Frenchman named Denis Papin.
At that time, people were scared to use a pressure cooker because of some exploding incident. However, people are also not aware of how to use a pressure cooker. But modern cookers are safer, faster, and easy to use. The pressure cooker was named “digester” by Denis Papin.
How Does the Pressure Cookers Work?
Before learning how to use a pressure cooker you should know how a pressure cooker works. It will make your learning easier. The pressure cooker comes with a valve on the top to control the steam pressure inside.
Once the pressure cooker heats up, the liquid inside the pot forms steam and builds pressure. The pressure cooker also raises the boiling point of water. Generally, the boiling point is limited to 212°F when you cook something wet.
But with the pressure cooker, the boiling point can get as high as 250°F because of pressure. The higher boiling point means you can cook much faster. It also helps to force water into the food. This is also a reason for faster cooking.
How to Use a Pressure Cooker?
Using a modern pressure cooker is simple. However, learning is necessary for safety. We will give you some steps to follow for using a pressure cooker.
Easy steps for using a pressure cooker
Here are the steps…
1) Understand your pressure cooker
There are two types of pressure cookers. First are old-style cookers with a “jiggle top” or regulator. The second type of pressure cooker uses spring valves. Which type of pressure cooker you have?
Make sure to check there are no cracks or dents in your pressure cooker. Cracked cookers can release the hot steam and burn you.
2) Know how to fill water in the pressure cooker
Do not fill the full pressure cooker with water. There should be some space for the steam to accumulate. Never fill your pressure cooker with more than 2/3 of water. Also, make sure there is a minimum of ½ cup of water in the valve cooker and one cup in old cookers.
3) Using steamer basket and trivet
The pressure cookers come with a steamer basket and trivet as well. The vegetables, seafood, and fruits are cooked on the steamer basket in the pressure cooker. Trivet is placed in the bottom of the cooker as a basket stand.
4) Determine the water level
Every recipe needs water to cook. You can check out the manual to get an idea about items and water amounts. Every item needs a different amount of water to be cooked. You can also read online buying guides.
5) Place food inside the cooker
Now place the food inside the cooker and the proper amount of water as well. Then take off the safety valve and lock the lid. Wait for some minutes, the cooker will simmer the food once the pressure reaches the safety limit.
6) Remove the food from the pressure cooker
Turn off the heat and reduce the pressure inside the cooker. Make sure to check the pressure has been completely released. Then you can remove the lid and take food out from the pressure cooker.
How to Use a Pressure Cooker for Meat?
You can follow the same process to use the pressure cooker for meat. However, there are some points that you should consider using a pressure cooker for meat.
- You should brown the meat first before putting it in the cooker. This can give you maximum flavor. You can also fry the meat in the pressure cooker at the medium flame with a small amount of canola oil. Do not close the lid of the cooker. You can use a pan as well.
- Use pressure cooker steamer for meat. Put the meat on a steamer basket with 175 ml of liquid. It will help the cooker to reach pressure. During this process, the meat will release some juice and braise.
- Add some vegetables and herbs to the pressure cooker with meat. Vegetable makes sure that the meat will not stick to the basket.
- Do not add ingredients like potato, corn(it is cor-n not com), and sauces while pressure cooking. These types of ingredients can make the liquid thick. It can prevent the cooker from reaching high pressure. You can add these ingredients after the pressure cooking.
- Wait for a few minutes. It may take 10 to 20 minutes to bring the high temperature. However, it also depends on the recipe you are following.
What Things you can Cook in a Pressure Cooker?
The pressure cookers are useful to cook multiple items. Here is a small list of items that you can cook in a pressure cooker.
- Cuts of meats
- And many more
It is simple to use a pressure cooker for meat. Make sure to consider those things. There are also many other advantages of pressure cookers. The pressure cooker will need less energy than other appliances.
It will take only some minutes to cook items. This makes it the cooker easy to overcook items. There is only one disadvantage with the pressure cooker. Thanks for reading. Do not forget to check out buying guides and other informative articles on our site.